It’s tough to judge exactly how well I am doing from a statistical standpoint. I just started my new system for evaluating my production. This week saw a drop in my words written, but a massive increase in revising time.
+980 words written.
Days writing: 4 out of 7.
Days revising: 3 out of 7 for 5 hours and 30 min.
Daily writing goals met (500+ words or 30 minutes of revisions): 3 out of 7 days.
Some notes on the numbers, then:
- As I said, much lower numbers for writing than for revising. The word count numbers don’t even come close to matching the count I’d have if I made writing goal of 500 words a day all week (3,500 words). However, the revising time well exceeds what I would do if I made my revising quota of 30 minutes per day all week (3 hours and 30 minutes).
- I had a slight increase in the number of days that I made quota.
- Not included in these totals – cutting an earlier version of a scene I decided to rewrite to make it fit in better with the conflicts my main character is facing. What I cut was around 750 words – frankly, a lot less than I thought it was going to be. The replacement scene is going to be bigger, I think – serving as the main kiss-off of his old life and moving on with his new one away from his home.
- As I said before, it’s getting closer and closer to the end. Word count numbers on this project will likely remain lower than at the beginning of it, but my revising numbers should stay strong.
- I’m feeling like I’ve turned a corner with this project. I’ll be happy to see a full rough draft in my hand.
One other thing; thanks to those of you who have visited the site and hit the follow button for me. It’s greatly appreciated, and I hope that there’s something here on the site you’d be interested in reading about. I’m also hoping to have something for people to read and buy before the year is out.