It appears likely that I will be the author of at least one book, maybe more, that will be available in an e-book edition. As a result, I started considering how I should consume said e-books, because I’m not really doing that right now.
I was going to make this an in-depth study of e-book readers and formats, but guess what, I didn’t make the time to go ahead and research any platforms that I could use to read them. Instead, I decided to make this a quick piece about my (very brief) history with ebooks and the pros and cons I have with them.
Either my wife or my mom got my an ebook device who knows when from who knows what company. After a few years of sitting on my desk at home, I wound up stowing it in the big plastic tub where I store all of my old electronic stuff I no longer use but might remotely have a possible use for later. (All the kids out there, mine included: Don’t buy a lot of stuff. After a couple of decades at least half of it is going to either be in storage or cluttered junk, and you won’t remember most of it, anyway. Save your money and go on vacations instead.)
So, I’ll just list my pros and cons for each media, and let the chips fall where they will.
The Wood Books (just books)
- I can pick them up and read them anytime anywhere, except in the rain (naturally) or the dark.
- No loading times.
- Can be a nice decorating touch for a home office or library.
- A pretty straightforward gift for people.
- Heavy as hell and inconvenient to pack up and move.
- Take up too much space once you get a whole bunch of them.
- I might have mentioned before that I’ve had to get ruthless at culling my current collection, and I probably haven’t been as ruthless as I’ve needed to be.
The Metal and Plastic Books (ebooks)
- Easy storage.
- You can get a bunch of them and not break any of your shelves.
- Portability is pretty nice, too.
- No power, no reading.
- Difficult to figure out all of the ins and outs of the programs.
- Different formats – why can’t I buy one ebook and have it read on different platforms?
- If any readers know if this is possible, let me know in the comments.
Well, regardless, I’m going to take another dive into this brave new world and see what is up with it. Wish me luck, and I’ll write more later.