Well, starting out the new year 2018 didn’t really get off to a good start. I was writing, but not on a consistent basis.
Enough intro, here’s the totals from the past week:
+2,091 words written.
Days writing: 4 out of 7.
Daily writing goals met (500+ words): 3 out of 7 days.
Notes about the count:
- I have the feeling that it is going to get tougher and tougher to reach my daily and weekly quotas the closer I get to writing the end of the book. These are the main tasks I have to accomplish. Without getting too much into spoilers, they are:
- Getting through a pretty harrowing scene where my main character is essentially threatened with assault and has to do something that is distasteful to escape the situation. Despite the subject matter, I believe it’s essential to show how he decides to make a final decision about what he wants to do with his life.
- Writing an entirely new scene that looks like just another football game he has to play but is actually step one in his plan to change around his life.
- Rewriting two critical scenes to make them better reflect some of the mid-draft changes I decided to make.
- See if I have any room for additional scenes that might add to the story. I’m sticking to the 99,999-word count limit. If I want to write more, there’s always sequels.
- I am thinking that I will consider setting up a goal for revising and editing work. If all goes well, I plan to be revising quite a bit beginning this spring. Even though I didn’t succeed in keeping at my quota for the last six months, it did give me valuable focus and complete a lot more writing, on a more consistent basis, than I ever had. I feel it is just as important to have a goal for that as much as for the drafting (the word count).
Now, the actual Random Notes:
- Getting behind in looking for reading material to post on the Facebook and Twitter pages for my reading list. I’ll get some work in tonight on that.
- I do plan to write tonight. Honest.
- Old procrastination – hours and hours of video games. New procrastination – hours on hours of YouTube reaction videos. (Hence this coming out tonight rather than yesterday.)
- There’s a workshop on publishing books at the Midwest Writer’s Center in Davenport. It looks cool, but it is a big time commitment and dollar commitment, so I might have to beg off.
- New Year’s just trucking along.
- I have material for at least two or three other posts. Now I just have to see if I have the discipline to get them done.